As paving contractors in Greenville, NC, we know how annoying grease or oil stains can be. Working in asphalt paving, we’ve actually picked up some tips and tricks over the years to fix it. If your driveway or parking lot has oil and grease stains, we have a few tips to get rid of them quickly.
1. Baking Soda
Baking Soda isn’t just great for getting smells out of your kitchen or bathroom, it can also help with stains. To do this, follow these steps:
- Dump a large amount of baking soda on the grease stain
- Get the mixture slightly wet and begin scrubbing into the stain with a brush in a circular motion
- Continue scrubbing until the oil stain begins to come up
- Hose the area off with water and repeat if the stain is still visible.
After you do that, hopefully the stain comes up.
If you have WD-40, it’s also a great tool to try. Follow these steps to use it:
- Spray onto the large grease stain
- Let it sit for 30 minutes to sink into asphalt. Depending on the stain, you may not need to scrub this as the WD-40 should be able to pull the stain out
- If you need to, scrub the stain using a hard brush
- Hose the stain down after 30 minutes and repeat if the stain is still there.
If the stain isn’t pulled up, whether you use WD-40 or baking soda, try the following step below.
3. Soda Pop
That’s right, coca cola or any off-brand cola is a great tool to get the rest of the stain off. It’s important to remember that you only need to use the cola method AFTER the top stain has been removed using one of the two ways above. If most of the oil or grease has been removed, this soda method will be able to remove the rest of the stain. To do this, follow these steps:
- Pour one 12 oz. can of cola onto the dry oil stain
- Let it sit for up to 6 hours so it can soak down into the asphalt
- Once time has passed, you can pour one more can of cola on the stain and use a brush to scrub the area
- After this, let it sit another hour
- After the time has passed, spray it all down with a water hose
- Repeat this if needed to fully remove the stain
This method works because the cola soaks deeply into the asphalt and “eats” away the stain.
Want More Help?
Of course, those are just a couple tips. If you need help with your asphat paving, don’t hesitate to seek the help of our trusted paving contractors. At Asphalt Solutions, we would love to help with all of your asphalt paving needs. Asphalt Solutions is a full service paving company, equipped and willing to handle even your toughest pavement problems. We offer most conventional services as well as several specialty services for residential, commercial and industrial properties. Contact us today and we’ll see how we can help.